How to Care for Your Athletic Apparel
Thoughtful, well-designed athletic apparel is meant to work as hard as you do!
While it’s built to last, there are definitely some ways in which you can get the most out of your technical apparel in terms of how you care for it. Overall, the fabrics are unique in that they’re designed to do special things like release moisture, protect you from UV rays, insulate when it’s cold, or stretch with your every movement.
Think of this as the training plan for your apparel:
- Wash on gentle cycle with like colors
- If you can avoid the dryer, do so, and lay flat or line dry
- If using the dryer, use a low heat
- Avoid fabric softeners as those clog up the fabrics
Hand washing is always a great option:
- Fill your sink with mild detergent and warm water
- Submerge your apparel, swirl gently
- Let soak for 15 minutes
- Gently swish each item to get dirt out
- Rinse and gently squeeze (but don’t wring)
- Roll your apparel up in a towel and press
- Lay flat or line dry
- For sports bras, see How to Care for Your Sports Bra [underline + link to guide]
- Persistent funky smell, even after washing? Put these items through a wash cycle with ½ cup distilled white vinegar (and no detergent) to remove the bacteria/odor
- For delicate fabrics and sports bras, put items in a mesh wash bag to avoid snags
- Chafing is often a sign of age and damaged spandex - and a sign the garment needs to be replaced
Have questions? Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org, we’re here to help!