Oiselle Layers: Ski Edition
After a busy summer of mountain guiding, I'm so stoked to spend a couple of weeks at home in Seattle. I've spent five of the last seven months on the road, but this fall I've got big plans: I'm going to do yoga in my Lux Track Pants, snuggle Huckleberry, sleep in my own bed, and wax my skis, all while obsessively checking the snow reports at the pass.
As I hang up my rock shoes and do never-ending wall sits to prep for shredding, I'm also dusting off my favorite gear for skiing and ice climbing — and I'm so stoked to share my favorite Oiselle layers for hitting the backcountry.
- I'm newly obsessed with the Firecracker Earband. A couple of years ago, a friend of mine was killed because he was climbing without a helmet, so now I'm religious about making sure my brain bucket is in place — but damn, that thing really pushes my hair down into my eyes. So I just invested in the earband (love that Saturday color!), and I'm so stoked to not have my layers poking into my field of view.
- Without a doubt, wool is the best baselayer for skiing. And I've said it before, but Oiselle's wool layers are the best on the market — period. I've tried Smartwool, Ibex, you name it, and nothing comes close to Wazzie Wool. I own the baselayer, the half zip, and the racerback tank (which I wear under EVERYTHING.) They're durable, they're soft, and they hold their shape when I accidentally toss them in the dryer with the rest of my gear. Next on my list of gear to purchase: the Wazzie Wool Funnel Neck Long Sleeve.
- This is going to sound crazy, but the part of me that gets coldest when I'm on the mountain is my booty. To keep it warm, I've gotten into the habit of wearing shorts instead of undies when I'm shredding, and my current favorite is the Flyte Short. Seamless, comfortable, and they never ride up.
- Every skier worth their salt knows that a day on the slopes isn't complete without a rowdy apres-ski celebration, and I'm fully embracing the post-shred life with the Race Day Track Pants. They're my new go-to for long flights, recovery days, and driving to and from the mountains. My only problem? Now I want them in both colors.
- Shout-outs to the Ceto One Piece. Because hot tubs.