US Marathon Champs: Pre Race Tunes with Heather Lieberg
By Haute Volée, Heather Lieberg
I'm racing the USATF Marathon Champs in LA this weekend! I have so many personal goals for the race this weekend. Many of them I will keep to me so I don’t jinx myself, but I am mostly focusing on running a smart/strong race both physically and mentally. I am racing for a certain PR time and I want to cross that finish line knowing I did everything I possibly could to reach that goal. I have had pretty solid training leading up to the race so now is the time to believe that I can do it! I’ve done my homework and it’s almost time for the test. I can’t wait!
Leading up to this week's race I'll be prepping in many different ways, fueling and hydrating being key. My main ritual? Pump up music pre-race. My coach got me hooked on not listening to music during running/workouts for safety and focus reasons. I use my running as my quiet time to reflect on “life.” Being a mother of 3 and a teacher to 23 children each day the quiet is very welcoming. So instead I listen to music leading up to races to motivate me and get me pumped. I enjoy different types so there is quite the variety, but here's my top 5 must listen to pre-race! Enjoy.
Heather's Top 5 Tunes
- I Need a Miracle – Third Day. When I reflect on all the duties of my daily life as a wife, mom, teacher, professional runner etc.. I don’t know how it all works itself out. All I can say is that I’ve been given a miracle, am truly blessed and God is good!
- Eye of the Tiger – Survivor. Great old school pump up song! Don’t lose your grip on the dreams of the past; You must fight just to keep them alive
- Lose Yourself – Eminem. When I listen to this song it reminds me that this is my shot to prove myself as a distance runner. I don’t have a lot of opportunities to do so, so I want to make the most of each big race and give it my all…No excuses!
- We Run the Night – Havana Brown. Plain and simple….I just like the beat!
- Shake It Off – Taylor Swift. Everytime I hear this song I just feel energized and happy! It makes me want to “shake it” and helps relieve some nerves!